- This event has passed.
KENYA:Effective Use of Financial Evidence: Investigations in Human trafficking & Migrant Smuggling, 24-26/11/20
September 14, 2020 @ 12:00 am - September 18, 2020 @ 11:59 pm
What: Training on Effective use of financial evidence in human trafficking and migrant smuggling investigations
Where: Mombasa, Kenya
When: 24 -26 November 2020
Who: 31 Participants
Participating institutions: Office of the Director of Public prosecutions, Law Enforcement Agencies, Directorate of Immigration, Ethics and Anti-corruption Commission, Asset Recovery Agency, Kenya Revenue Authority, Judiciary, Central Bank of Kenya, Kenya School of Monetary Studies
It is increasingly important for law enforcement agencies to understand how to gather financial evidence admissible in a court of law. Financial intelligence units (FIU) are important components in the multi-agency approach as they serve as a national center for the receipt and analysis of suspicious transaction reports (STRs). Similarly, asset recovery agencies are important in the disruption of the illicit financial flows emanating from financial crimes as they are mandated by law to recover and confiscate such assets after the legal due process has been followed. The use of financial investigation in human trafficking surveillance is important in bringing the criminals to justice as well as unearthing other illegal networks and assisting in proper financial profiling of offenders and their enterprises. The use of a multi-agency approach stands better chances of disrupting criminal trafficking and smuggling networks.
- Create a better understanding of financial evidence and the role of each agency in gathering financial evidence in the Trafficking of human beings and or smuggling of migrants
- Create a Better understanding of the financial investigation and the role of the financial sector in disrupting criminal networks through effective Anti-money laundering measures
- Promote a better understanding of human trafficking and smuggling, the modus operandi of the criminal networks, and their financial flows nationally, regionally, and Internationally
- Promote a better understanding of national laws on AML-THB and the mandate and limitations of different agencies
- Promote a better understanding of the financial investigation and the importance of building a financial profile of a suspect
- Enhance collaboration and facilitate a platform for information exchange between the investigators, immigration officers, asset recovery, prosecutors, customs officers, central bank, and financial Intelligence units
The participants of this training conducted in Mombasa highly rated the training in terms of its relevance and importance, meeting its objectives, value addition, quality of delivery, and level of participation. Feedback received informally on the presentations and sessions was very positive.
- September 14, 2020 @ 12:00 am
- September 18, 2020 @ 11:59 pm
- Event Category:
- Mombasa, Mombasa Kenya