- This event has passed.
Information Exchange Workshop: Identification & Disruption Of Human Trafficking & Migrant Smuggling Criminal Networks
January 21, 2020 - January 23, 2021
What: Information Exchange Workshop: Identification & Disruption Of Human Trafficking & Migrant Smuggling Criminal Networks
Where: Mombasa, Kenya
When: 21 – 23 January 2020
Understanding the nature of criminal networks and their modus operandi is a priority for all countries in the Greater Horn of Africa region in their effort to address the criminal threats. Its complexity is compounded by the growing nexus between organized crime and terrorism. Criminal networks rely on ‘sub’ networks of sympathetic, unwitting or coerced support.
The scope and nature of human trafficking and smuggling criminal networks have intensified considerably across the region. Human trafficking networks transcend regional and international boundaries.
Criminals manipulate the inability of countries (and their agencies) to collaborate effectively at the national and international level to detect, identify and disrupt their networks. Good cooperation and coordination between the different domestic and regional authorities involved in combating human trafficking, migrant smuggling and fighting abuse of the financial system are essential to successfully fight Human Trafficking criminal networks.
The workshop aimed to provoke discussion, explore best practice and seek to identify opportunities to build trust, enhance cooperation and strengthen collaboration between national governments and their multiple agencies.
At the end of the workshop, participants were able to:
- Be equipped with a better understanding of human trafficking and smuggling, the modus of Operandi of the criminal networks, and their financial flow nationally and regionally
- Better understand the financial investigation and the role of the financial sector in disrupting criminal networks through effective AML measures and asset recovery
- Exposed to the basics of border security and control in disrupting criminal networks
- Explore practical cases and exchange experiences and good practices learning practical lessons
- Draw lessons learned and suggest a way forward on how the AML/ THB project could better deliver its objectives and the role of the national agencies in realizing the project
For more information on this workshop, please see this newsletter